Throughout the school, students have the chance to express their talent and develop their skills through a range of co-curricular music opportunities.
These include individual music tuition, orchestras, choirs and a Youth Music Theatre. Our FOBISIA and TISAC membership also enables our students to share their talents and skills with like-minded students from across Asia.
Music activities are divided into four categories:
- Lunchtime (WP): 40 minute rehearsals and support sessions
- ECA Time: 14:00 – 15:00 (EY) / 14:30 – 15:30 (WP), Tuesday to Thursday
- After School (WP): 15:00 – 16:00, Monday & Friday / 15:30 – 16:30, Tuesday to Thursday
- Boarding (WP): Weekday evening practice and Saturday morning activities
Our current school ensembles and activities include:
- Early Years Choir (Rec – Y1)
- Primary Choirs (Years 2-6)
- Secondary Choirs (Years 7-13)
- Vocal Ensemble (invitation/audition)
- Songwriting & Composition
- Junior Orchestra
- Senior Orchestra (invitation/audition)
- Rock School
- BIST Youth Music Theatre
- Music Technology
Some of these ensembles are by invitation or audition, requiring a minimum standard and ongoing commitment to regular rehearsals and performances. In addition, we have many rock, pop and jazz groups that the students form themselves. Our rock bands have featured in the top 3 at the TISAC Battle of the Bands for the last four years, claiming the Upper Secondary Champions title in 2018. Regular performance opportunities include school ceremonies, musicals, solo recitals, concerts and TISAC Music events.